Saturday, October 22, 2011

With this first blog post I have officially stepped so far out of my comfort zone that I am now in a new zip code--and it's not even a west coast zip code. Anyone who has ever tried something new, something daunting, something that once they started they wondered “What the hell was I thinking?” will understand with what trepidation I undertake this. This is but the latest of many steps I have taken in a new journey that I embarked upon this past spring.  I decided to try my hand at something I’d dreamed of doing all my life, but never had the courage to actually attempt. I’m writing. I’m writing books! Story ideas have filled my mind for as long as I can remember, but I have never done anything with them. It was always, “Someday, I’ll have to write that book.” Someday. But somedays have a way of coming and going and before you realize it, years have gone by. When one particular story idea took up residence in my imagination and wouldn’t leave I had to admit the day had come; it was time to try my hand at writing. Finally putting pen to paper, or fingertips to keyboard, I had no idea how obsessive I would become about this new venture. Characters are now stalking me, plot twists wake me from my sleep, and time tends to get away from me as I furiously try to get words down before they slip away from me. And the learning curve has been nothing less than the wildest of roller coasters.
My hope is that this blog will be a way of chronicling my experiences as a fledging writer. Emphasis on fledgling. As I learn the craft, (six months ago I didn’t even know it was a ‘craft’), try new things, meet mentors, scream that I don’t know what I’m doing and what was I thinking, I will share it here. Already, so much has happened that I wish I could have shared in a blog. I’ll try to use the first few blogs to catch up, with all the good, the bad, and the ugly. And the surprising, and inspiring as well.
Whew! I did it! A first blog post! Next time I’ll write a little about the books I’m working on, and some fantastic experiences I’ve had since embarking on this new journey.

1 comment: