Saturday, May 12, 2012

Staying the Course


April and May are always exceptionally busy months for me. A lot goes on at my school and in my classroom during these months. I have many personally important dates on the April and May calendars. Throw in the occasional extra event or obligation, and you have a couple of packed months. Add to all of this a resolve to work out every day after work. Now you have months (or more!) that make all good intentions to write on a regular basis fly right out the window into the pollen laden spring air. How to find the time and energy to write?



I’ve now been writing long enough, (though the time can still be counted in months), to know that all writers have moments of self doubt, and that I am not unique in that way. But recently I hit a new low. I was on the brink of abandoning my still new avocation. For many reasons. And my inability to find the time and energy to write was not an insignificant component of that low. Dear Husband and I sat down, discussed my dilemma, and after some brainstorming may have come up with a plan that has a chance of working. He knows how important this is to me, and we were both willing to think a little outside the box. It’s still in its infancy, so I’ll let you know in a few weeks how it’s working out for me. But, here it is, Tuesday evening, and I’m writing a first draft of a blog post I hope to post this coming weekend. And I worked on one of my projects last night, and hopefully will tonight as well.


It’s too early for me to chicken out of this new adventure. I’ve never been a quitter, and I don’t plan to start now. No, I’m going to do whatever is necessary to stay the course. And I would love to hear from others who have faced this dilemma, and found a workable solution!

Keep writing!
Monica

2 comments:

  1. How is your new program going, Monica? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judith,

    All in all, it's going fairly well. I may have set my expectations a bit high--this is a very busy time in my classroom. But I am writing on a more regular basis, and am very excited for the summer break when I can write daily and prepare my first novel for submission. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete